Thursday Thoughts- The Waiting Game

Thursday Thoughts
This is where we will collaborate on classroom issues.


"There are many times throughout the day where my kids have to sit.  I end up getting so irritated that they won't sit still that I end up yelling. By the time we start the activity that we were waiting to start none of us are having a good time. What should I do?" -Samantha, Illinois

Waiting is extremely hard for young children.  The part of their brain that would tell them to sit still is not yet developed.  That same area is what controls their ability to plan and think of alternatives.  Again, this area is not done growing.  Asking them to sit quietly is like asking me to get the last package of something off the top of the grocery store shelf (I'm 5 feet tall, not gonna happen!).

As teachers it is our job to teach children the coping skills they need to survive.  One coping skill is learning to wait. I however cannot wait.  Take my morning routine.  Each and every morning you will find me here:
 
 
Not this exact one.  For some reason I don't have a picture of my  Starbucks. This is one in Delaware. I take pictures of the Starbucks I go to on vacation.  Doesn't everyone?
 
So back to my point.  Each morning while I wait for my coffee I don't sit "criss-cross applesauce with my hands in my lap and a bubble in my mouth." Instead I talk to people, look at merchandise, or do things on my phone.  Yet we often feel as teachers that the children should be sitting completely silent and still while waiting.  Let's change this!
 
Here is a short list of awesome waiting activities:
  • Books for children or yourself to read
  • Songs
  • Fingerplays
  • I spy
  • I'm thinking of.... (an animal, person, place, etc.)
  • Pretend you're a .....(elephant, mommy, robot, fireman, etc.)
  • Go on a mission while walking (look for something blue, sneak past another teacher in the hall, etc.)
  • Walk like a ....
  • Come up with animals, etc. that start with each letter of the alphabet
  • Bring small story pieces in a bag to tell a story
  • Give each child something to hold while walking or sitting.
This is just a short list. What would you suggest for Samantha?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time-Out Tuesdays- Gardening

Time-Out Tuesday- Whadda Work For?

Fill It Up Friday- Screen Time