Thursday Thoughts- Nap Time Trouble


Thursday Thoughts
This is where we will collaborate on classroom issues.

"Nap time is the worst for me!  The kids never fall asleep quickly enough so they end up still being tired when it is time to wake up.  My littles need sleep and I need a break!  What can I do to make this more peaceful for all of us?" -Jasmine T. Plainsboro, NJ

I think we can all relate to this!  How many times have you thought "Wow!  All my kids are asleep already!" only to turn around and see them playing peek-a-boo with one another or standing like a prairie dog on their cots (I can't be the only one who get the prairie dog look right?!?)?
 
 
When it comes to nap time it is important to keep routines in place. It is beyond important to do the same thing each and everyday.  Setting up a routine that works for you can be difficult.  Like destroying a lego creation difficult.

When creating a routine there are several things to think about. 
  • What are the licensing rules for rest time in your state?
  • How much can you manipulate the schedule?
  • What are your center's rules on sleep toys?
  • The space available in your room.
  • The personalities in your class.
  • The age of your children.
Each of these considerations will help you form a routine that will work in your room.  There are some years where my kids NEEDED to run around after lunch, before we pottied and got tucked in. During those times I'd have the kids chase me or play Mother May I outside for 10 minutes before settling in.  There were other years where I had to get them tucked in as quickly as I could after eating. 

When it comes to room arrangement you will need to think about who can and needs to sleep in brighter areas and who would do better placed in a darker part of the room.  Is there any way you can make your room darker?  Playing the same type of music during this time can also make the kids loll off.  I usually stick with things from the Sinatra era or a Rockabye Baby CD.  When playing music think about who can be near auditory stimuli and which children would be distracted by this.  Nap time is not the best time to play the soundtrack to Frozen!

One routine that I've kept up, even now that I am teaching Kinders, is tucking my children in.  I go to each child and fix their blankets (if needed) and tell them sweet dreams.  This is a deliberate cue that it is now time for rest.

There will be a squirmer.  This is who I sit next to.  There is always some teacher work that you need to complete so just sit there and do you work.  Don't talk to the child.  Don't look at the child.  Just sit.  If they need more tactile input you can place your hand on their back.  You can even pat or rub.  No looking.  No talking.  I mean it!

After a designated period of time give those children who are not asleep a quiet activity.  Make sure that this is within compliance for your state regulations and center rules of course.  I usually give my younger children felt stories to play with on their cots and my kinders are allowed to color or read.  Do not place those children next to one another.  The temptation to talk and show off what they are doing will be too great and they do not have strong impulse control (a phrase we will define in a future Wednesday Words!).

Continue the dialogue in the comments!  Have your own question?  Let me know and we can synergize on solutions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time-Out Tuesdays- Gardening

Time-Out Tuesday- Whadda Work For?

Mindful Monday- Matter