Mindful Monday- Sight Words


Mindful Monday

This is where each Monday we are mindful of our pedagogy, slowly adjusting our lessons to match our theories.

I just love working on sight words with my Kindergarteners!  In my classroom we lump sight words and high frequency words together.  We (being the Kindergarten teaching team I work with) feel like it is easier to tackle them at the same time and in the same ways. 

I absolutely stink at remembering to take pictures so I'm sorry that many of my ideas don't have pictures to accompany them.  Here goes:
  • Using Scrabble letter tiles to add how much their word is worth (I usually add this when the children are in the portion of the year where we are tackling addition in math).
 
  • How much is your word worth?  This activity was a gem I found on TpT How Much is Your Word Worth?
  • Sight word writing on the windows.  This one was one of my kids favorites this year!

  • Rainbow writing sight words.
  • Stamping sight words.
  • Twister with sight words.

  • Bean bag toss.
  • Sight word matching using cars.

  • Boom!- A game where the children pull sight words from a canister.  They can keep the sight word if they know it.  If they pull the Boom! card they must put all the cards back in the canister.

  • Sight word Bingo in the listening center.

  • Jenga using sight words.  I attach a sticker with current and review sight words on Jenga pieces.  The children can collect the piece if they know the word.
  • Sight word Connect Four.  They can only play the piece if they know the word.
  • Sight word Hangman (by FAR my children's favorite!).  We started the year off using just words.  As the year has progressed I do entire sentences. 

This is only a partial list of the ways we integrate sight word practice into our daily lessons.  What do you do in your room?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time-Out Tuesdays- Gardening

Time-Out Tuesday- Whadda Work For?

Fill It Up Friday- Screen Time